ADVERTISEMENT

Football practice notes - March 31

LesJ

Heisman
Mar 26, 2007
We made a day trip to Charleston, SC yesterday, with this being spring break for my 15-year old daughter, hence the reason I was gone all day yesterday (good trip, loooooonnnggg drive there and back in one day).

But I made it back in time for Wake football practice this morning at McCreary Field House, where I saw:

• RB Tyler Bell is no longer in a yellow jersey, meaning he is now cleared for action again.
  • RB Matt Colburn participated in some workouts today, but is still limited and will likely still not play in the spring game next Saturday.
  • RB Rocky Reid was out today with what Clawson characterized as a "ding (standard, non-specific answer here)." He will likely not scrimmage Saturday.
  • This was a non-tackling practice, but that didn't stop it from being physical. Lots of energy today on both sides of the ball.
  • Speaking of energy - Cade Carney loves the contact. He broke a run through the middle today, gathered steam and just TRUCKED Thomas Dillon in the secondary before going out of bounds after about a 35-yard pickup.
  • Brandon Chapman was active from the TE position today, making a handful (pun?) of grabs. QB Kyle Kearns found him open over the middle twice, and Chapman's hands seem solid, despite not being a proven pass catcher out of HS.
  • John Wolford found Tabari Hines deep, delivering a perfect lofty pass over both Jessie Bates and Josh Okonye.
  • Kearns connected with Alex Bachman on a 15-yard TD pass in traffic on a nicely-throw ball.
  • Kendall Hinton found a WIDE OPEN Steven Claude on busted coverage for what was nearly a 60-yard TD pass and catch.
  • DT Chris Stewart is out, going through concussion protocol.
  • The Deacs worked a lot of red zone situational stuff today, as well as a scenario where the score was tied 13-13 with 1:37 left in the game. The offense started with the ball at their own 38 and had no time outs.
  • On the first run of this scenario, Claude made a miraculous catch of a Wolford pass to get the offense within FG range, however, a sack (created by Paris Black and Duke Ejiofor) and a delay of game penalty led to a 50-yard missed FG.
  • On the second run of this scenario, Kendall Hinton threw three incomplete passes to end the drill stalled right where it started.
I'll be back later this evening with full comments from coach Clawson, who spent a lot of time with us today and provided great material as always!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News