ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Notes and Quotes from Steve Forbes 11/5

Kelly Quinlan

Heisman
Staff
Jul 10, 2006
Coach Forbes spoke to the media for 30 minutes on Friday

Ody Oguama is out with mono, not sure what his timetable is to return.

WF is waiting for the ACC to release the finalized ACC basketball schedule. They've got the non-conference done and Forbes says they want to play at least one ACC game before Christmas.

" They're trying we're working hard to try to have an ACC game before Christmas. Now, what day that is I'm not 100% yet. And then when we get started after Christmas is I don't know it could be the 29th it could be the 30th I don't know."

Forbes said Mucius is a real leader for the team. He likes his versatility.

"I found that he, he can play both ends of the court, he's, you know, he can be a really good defender is he can because he communicates well, and he's using the right spots, defensively, or offensively, he can play, he can play on a wing, or you can play the small forward position, whatever that means, we usually play four guards around one big or however we're going to do it. "

Forbes said that Mucius can shoot the 3 and hopes that consistency he is showing in practice carries over.

Forbes said that Mucius can play the 5 in a pinch on offense, but he doesn't like him defending a post. Said he gives some options on offense with moving him around.

Ismael Massoud has been playing some 5 and will be part of the game plan going forward especially with Oguama out.

Forbes said he likes the grouping of Mucius/Massoud and three guards a lot.

Forbes said he does not believe the ACC will bubble teams and play in one area. He said that was discussed at one point, but he believes they will play regular home and away ACC games.

Forbes said he has three groupings of five that he is looking at as possible starters, but he said the focus is more on who the final five are on the court at the end of games. Starting isn't the most important part.

Forbes said the schedule piece has been really difficult as teams were scrambling to play a regional non-conference schedule. He said Frank Davis did a really good job for the them with it.

"it's a little bit nerve-wracking, especially in your first year, when you don't have an exhibition, you don't have a scrimmage, you don't really know what you're gonna get until the lights go on. You know, and so, you know, we're trying to, we're trying to put them through the paces as best we can to be ready for that. But you know, each game, I think, just getting better and better. So when we get going into the ACC, we have some momentum and some confidence. I think momentum and confidence are important, too, when you can when you play in a league that like the league that we play in."

On the defense so far, one of Forbes' biggest challenges

"At times? It seems like a lot of times we go two steps forward and step back. And a lot of it depends on what we're resizing that day, you know, I mean, I spent some time last week trying to get off into execution good, you know, ball moving, and also now in the garden, anybody, you know, or is it because we're better off offensively? You know, are we? Because we shoot two three, so well? Does that mean we can't garden three? You know, that's my life, right? That's the, the schizophrenia life of a coach. "

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News