ADVERTISEMENT

Football Wake Forest adds Jim Hofher to football staff

Kelly Quinlan

Heisman
Staff
Jul 10, 2006
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Jim Hofher, a veteran college football coach who most recently served at Iowa State, has joined the Wake Forest football staff as a defensive analyst.

For Hofher, it will be his third stint under his third head coach with the Demon Deacons.

Hofher started at Wake Forest in 1979 as a graduate assistant coach under John Mackovic. He worked with the Deacon wide receivers including Wayne Baumgardner who graduated as Wake Forest’s all-time leader in receptions.

“We are excited to welcome back Jim Hofher to Wake Forest,” said head coach Dave Clawson. “We are extremely fortunate to add a coach of Jim’s quality, experience and expertise to our staff.”

“Wake Forest University has always been a special place for me, and for my family, as it’s where I was lucky enough to start what is now 41 years in college football,” said Hofher. “I am grateful to Coach Clawson for the opportunity to re-join the Demon Deacons and look forward to contributing to the program in any way that I can this season.”

Hofher served as an assistant coach at Miami (Ohio) in 1981 and 1982 before returning to Wake Forest as the running backs coach under head coach Al Groh. Under his tutelage, running backs Michael Ramseur and Topper Clemons each finished their careers among the top 10 rushers in Wake Forest history.

Hofher moved to Syracuse and Tennessee as an assistant before becoming the head coach at Cornell from 1990-97, leading the Big Red to a conference championship in 1990. He posted a 45-35 record in eight seasons.

He spent time as an assistant at North Carolina and Syracuse before serving five seasons as the head coach at Buffalo from 2001-05.

Hofher added stops at Bowling Green, Delaware and Nevada before spending the last three seasons with the Cyclones.

Hofher was a three-year letterman at Cornell at quarterback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News